It is currently Sat 23 Aug 2014, 14:23 Advanced search

Game Develop is now open source!

Announcements and general discussions about Game Develop.

Game Develop is now open source!

Postby 4ian » Mon 30 Jun 2014, 23:22

Yay! :mrgreen:

Game Develop is now officially an open source software :)
GD is one of the most powerful and comprehensive software to create games without programming, and is now open to contributions from any developer. Sources are available on my GitHub account: https://github.com/4ian/gd
Contributions are welcome! Documentations and build instructions should be improved in the next weeks.

It should not changes anything for end users in next weeks, except that the next release will be the first release based on the full open sourced source code :lol:
I will announce the news across the internet starting from tomorrow. Do not hesitate to spread the word, lots of new users could be interested by the fact that GD is now fully open source, and lots of developers could be interested in contributing to this unique piece of software! :D
4ian
Auteur de Game Develop / Game Develop's developer
4ian
GD Lead Developer

Re: Game Develop is now open source!

Postby Lizard-13 » Tue 1 Jul 2014, 00:21

Wow :o
That was fast and unexpected...

Great news!, and good luck with the new open source software :mrgreen:

Maybe the first not-made-be-me API/code I will learn :D (excluding pygame of course)
I should be studying now :/
Lizard-13

Postby 4ian » Tue 1 Jul 2014, 11:38

I wanted to put the code online as fast as possible to avoid always postponing this moment, even if the documentation is not perfect.
It should encourage developers to get into the code as soon as possible :)

I've already received contributions for extensions in the past so it should be not so hard for developers to contribute to GD. :)
4ian
4ian
GD Lead Developer

Postby blurymind » Tue 1 Jul 2014, 20:59

:lol: this is amazing news!! Thank you for contributing to the indie dev community!
blurymind
GD Supporter

Postby blurymind » Tue 1 Jul 2014, 23:34

i posted about it at blenderartist and naturally some users have already started challenging it:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... en-source!!

:roll:

It would be good to spread this news like wildfire. In general it would be good if gamedevelop's website becomes more like a community website that shows updates and news - ongoing projects and so on.

Its very important to put gamedevelop on the map for open source communities. To get it noticed in developer environments- forums, news websites and so on.
blurymind
GD Supporter

Postby 4ian » Fri 4 Jul 2014, 14:17

Awesome, keep going! :D

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/g ... ource.3974

Yeah, I notified Liam Dawe from gamingonlinux about GD being open source.
4ian
4ian
GD Lead Developer

Postby blurymind » Fri 4 Jul 2014, 23:12

I announced it on twitter. The first time it got no notice, because there were no hashtags. The second time I added hashtags and it got several retweets by indie game development news sites and several favorites
blurymind
GD Supporter

Postby nate » Sat 5 Jul 2014, 03:27

Coming from blenderartists' article :) You got a very cool open source project here, congrats!

But I would like to ask why you choose GPL/LGPL license? Generally GPL/LGPL is bad license for game engine, especially when it comes to mobile development ( I believe one day Game Develop might support ). E.g. there's workaround to published LGPLed game on iOS, but not without lots' of unnecessarily hassles.

Would you please consider use more commercial friendly license like MIT? That would encourage more indie developers even studios to use Game Develop
nate

Postby _user » Sat 5 Jul 2014, 07:42

nate wrote:Coming from blenderartists' article :) You got a very cool open source project here, congrats!

But I would like to ask why you choose GPL/LGPL license? Generally GPL/LGPL is bad license for game engine, especially when it comes to mobile development ( I believe one day Game Develop might support ). E.g. there's workaround to published LGPLed game on iOS, but not without lots' of unnecessarily hassles.

Would you please consider use more commercial friendly license like MIT? That would encourage more indie developers even studios to use Game Develop

This is what 4IAN wrote in another thread (maybe it will help):

"The code of the IDE will surely be GPL to force any improvement to be shared with the community.
Core library, C++ platform (native game engine) and JS Platform (html5 game engine) will be LGPL (as JS platform currently is) so that it will allow to compile games that are using them without making these games open source (using GPL would force anyone compiling a game with GD to release the game as GPL). And it forces any code improvement to be also shared with the community.
"Official" extensions should remain zlib/libpng license: basically you can do anything as long as you do not state you are the author of the original code. Of course, any third party extension will be able to use any license its author wish.
"

"As long as the licenses are respected, it should be ok but try not to do this.
Even if you can make fork to do some experiments, try to stick with the master branch of GD because nothing good will happen if everyone start working on their own version of GD: this is something I do not want to happen.
I make GD open source so that everyone can contribute to the software, not to have 15 useless forks of it.
"
_user

Next

Return to Game Develop general